Completion date: Phase 1 August 2011, Phase 2 March 2012
Contract value: £1.7m
Gross internal floor area: 1030 sq.m.
Four United Reformed Church congregations came together on one site which was completely redeveloped to provide a new church building consisting of worship space to seat 250, a large multi-purpose community hall with dedicated commercial community kitchen, meeting rooms and a large informal foyer space. The congregation had to remain on site during the works, therefore, MSA devised a phased rolling programme of demolition, construction and reoccupation to enable the church to remain on site throughout the build. The old church building was a well known landmark in Southchurch and the client wished to maintain a strong visual presence in the community whilst creating a new, distinct identity for the new combined congregation. This building occupies a prominent site and a two storey cylindrical tower marks the corner site. The original pipe organ has been refurbished and relocated in a new enclosure. Photovoltaics are integrated on a flat and sloping roof area and air source heating has been provided in conjunction with underfloor heating.